Thursday, November 29, 2007

Happy, sad, and everything in between--NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Below is an email that I sent my husband about a month ago on a Sunday evening when he was out of town (in Vegas eating very fancy dinners). It was about a week after we had moved into our new house, and while we were trekking home from the school playground, Michael had gone ahead on his scooter and then gotten lost. I thought he was waiting at the top of the hill, so by the time I knew he was missing, he had probably already been lost for about 10 minutes. We found him a few minutes later, walking around with a mom from 1 street over and calling my name. While this could be a story in itself, it is really just a preamble for the following story.

WARNING: If you do not yet have children but would like to have children, you might want to skip this.


So, after I almost lost Michael, I got all the kids
home safe and let them watch AFV while I made eggs and
toast. Blake almost fell asleep at the table at 7:45,
so I moved him over to the couch for the rest of the
show while the other two finished eating. He
complained about his tummy hurting (code for poop
alert) and then about 1 minute later, before I could
take him, he fell over sideways, asleep.

I got Ellie ready for bed at 8 PM while Michael got
himself ready. Put Ellie down, let Michael play
quietly while I deftly changed all of Blake's clothes
on the couch to put on his pajamas, and transferred
him to bed, without him waking at all. By that time,
Ellie was yelling in her crib to get out, so I got her
out and let her play with Michael while I got Blake
situated. I read Ellie a few more books and put her
back to bed, then got Michael to bed. And went
downstairs to do dishes.

About 10 minutes later, Ellie was yelling in her crib
(again) so I let her traipse around me in our room
while I watched Iron Chef. At about 9:45, I hear
Michael screaming in his room--one of his night
terrors*. Ellie is following me in there asking "What's
wrong with Michael?" I check to make sure that he
hasn't had an accident (it smelled suspiscious), then,
while he's wailing incoherently, moved him into my
room so he would't wake Blake, who is apparently,
hibernating.

So michael cries in our room for 10 more minutes with
Ellie looking very confused, then suddently lies down
back asleep. i convince Ellie everyone is sleeping and
put her down (it's about 10:00 by now). Then I have a
sick feeling in my gut as I remember the smell in
Michael's room. I go and feel Blake's pants which are
filled with a steaming pile of poop. I open his window
and turn on his fan and change his clothes (yet again)
in his sleep without his waking, and clean up his very
messy backside. Luckily, the one time he squirmed was
to roll onto his stomach, making my job of cleaning
all the easier. I put him on top of his sheets (in
case his bottom sheet was contaminated). all without
him waking up at ALL.

I carefully carry this pile of steaming poop and about
10 wipes downstairs with his pants and
underwear--which I, of course, do not want to put
down, so as I reach under the sink to grab a plastic
bag, I slowly drop the whole pile, with the underwear
falling with a dull thud, as it unwrapped itself and
landed poop-side down onto the tile.

Still haven't gotten to those dishes.

I'm off to transfer Michael (if I am brave). All that
aside, we had a great day. The kids were great at
church (Blake planted himself on Michelle's lap). We
had a good afternoon and spent a few hours outside,
watching the sunset and just appreciating life. Maybe
the craziness would have gotten to me tonight, if I
wasn't still feeling so warm and fuzzy from having
been reunited with the first born of my womb.

*About ever 2-3 months, Michael wakes up about an hour after going to sleep and screams for 20 minutes or so, usually asking me but unable to see me right in front of him. He's actually asleep through the whole thing, and will suddenly just lay back asleep after a while and not remember any of it. Apparently these are called night tremors and Michael's incidents are pretty mild. Yet one more reason to "just say no" to bunk beds.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like quite the adventureous night Shelb. I hope Michael grows out of those night Terrors. Chad's brother had those and he'd run outside around his cul de sac screaming like crazy. In fact, he's had one within the last six months and his wife was so scared that she climbed out the bedroom window. Yikes. Not to scare you or anything. :)

eBay said...

Hey shelby! Brittany told me where to find you. I wanted to comment bc Caleb had night terrors like that and so did Koby (my son). Caleb would have them every night, so the doctor told my mom to give him Benadryl to put him into a deeper sleep and he stopped waking up. Just thought I would let you know! It's fun to read up on how you are doing!

~home bodies~ said...

hi shelby! we found you through brittany's blog. it is fun to get to read about your life. we have some crazy poop stories too. keep up the good blogging so that we can keep laughing.

matthew & amanda