Friday, July 25, 2008

Annoying, Awkward, Annoying

My day yesterday.

Annoying:
I called my friend Emily while driving to Costco and started our conversation with, "Ooooo, I'm illegal here, I'm talking on a cell phone while driving. If I hang up quickly,  you'll know why."

 You can probably guess what happened 10 minutes later. 

I sat at a red light and saw 2 motorcycle cops drive the other direction. I quickly flipped my phone away and pretended to play with my ear (I won't lie to a cop, but charades to avoid a ticket are okay). He got me anyway and was one of the nicest, chattiest cops I've ever met, who didn't even care that I had no registration in my car and I haven't bothered in 1.5 years to get a CA license.

$20 ticket--not bad. Pretty cheap for a good story.

Awkard:
At my window, the cop asks: "So what color would you say your hair is--brown or blond?"

Okay, I had a hair appt scheduled for the next day because I had some REALLY bad roots. So I looked a little taken aback by the question. I asked him, "Well, what color would YOU say it is?"

"I don't know. What do you call it?"

"Well, I guess my hair's naturally light brown, but I highlight it so it's supposed to look dark blond, but it's only a partial so it probably look brown underneath."

The cop looks down at his ticket and writes something down.

Cop: "Let's see. . . green eyes. How tall are you?"

Me: 5 foot 8.

(I still have not caught on at this point)

Cop: "What would you say you weigh?"

Me: (stare back silently with large perplexed eyes)

Cop:"125, 130?"

Me: (pause) sure.

cop: "I'll write 130 since you paused."

Me: silently stare back looking for "punked" cameras

Cop: "Your VA license doesn't have any of this info on it and we're supposed to have in in CA."

Couldn't he have  explained this at the beginning of the conversation before he committed two of the most heinous conversational crimes for women over 30 (hair color and weight)?

Annoying:
So I was not running a good 10 minutes late to Costco, up against a hard deadline of very expensive swim lessons for the boys.

We raced through getting the food we've been needing for 2 weeks, and when we get to the register, I cannot find my card. I used it to get in, then dropped it somewhere.

"Sorry, there's nothing we can do without your card. You can re-load  your groceries and we'll put them to the side. Go wait in line at Membership and they can give you a temporary card and come back and buy them."

But since I had no time to do that, I had to leave my cart full of groceries, apologize, and run (literally) my kids back to the car to make it back to swim, oh yea, and cry. 

Two hours of my time, and all I had at the end of the day was an empty kitchen and a "non-moving traffic violation" from the SR Police Dept.

Michael moaned the whole way home, "Aghh, we're all going to starve. We don't have any food. We're going to starve. . . "

Why didn't anyone in line offer their Costco card? Why didn't the checker recommend that I do that?

I'd write more  but I'm starving. . . wasting away. . .

4 comments:

Lara said...

I'm shocked that the cop would start guessing weights--seriously that has to be a dangerous territory for them to enter.

I hope tomorrow's a better, less eventful day for you.

carilarkins said...

I once had a cop tell me he couldn't give me a ticket because after seeing my crutches in the backseat next to my friend's wheelchair and hearing our stories, he felt too dang sorry for me. That might be a tactic you ought to employ. I'd also like to remind you that Rob worked at Lagoon as a weight guesser so he might have some of the same qualifications as your cop.

Tamara said...

What a rotten day! I agree with the first comment, tomorrow will be better with no annoying cops in it (yet).

Mama Coons said...

I can't believe you got a ticket and he asked ALL those questions. He sounds like a stalker! I have gotten really good at using the speaker phone option and it works way better than that ear thing!