Monday, April 7, 2008

Life Lessons


Michael
Life lesson: Tragedy is relative, and so is ecstasy 

Michael came into our room in the middle of the night last week, crying, complaining about a "really scary nightmare." He was quite upset. As I walked him back to his room he explained to me, "It was the worst thing ever. . . the scariest nightmare ever. I went to the park with Anthony and Conner was there. And. . . . . . Anthony and Conner played together and they didn't want to play with me." Totally distraught. A definite "10" on a sliding scale of tragedies (to a 5-year-old).

Then, on Saturday, his day consisted of riding bikes at the school, a play-date across the street, and a birthday party at Scandia, bumper boats and all. That night he sat in bed and mused aloud, "Mom, I was just thinking about all the wonderful things in my life. I'm the luckiest kid in the world. Being 5 is great."

Can I bottle some of that joy for a later date?

Blake
Life lesson: In one ear, and sometimes it sticks

We enjoyed watching General Conference at home this spring. (Yeah!) Our kids played (fought)  near where we were watching it and I assumed they weren't really absorbing anything.

But, an hour or so later, Blake was jumping on the couch cushions and announcing, "This jump is called an Uchtdorf." He was rather infatuated with that name for the rest of the day.

Ellie
Life Lesson: Age is only a number, and sometimes it's not even that

I was holding Ellie yesterday, marveling at how big she is (27 months). I said, "Ellie, how old are you?" She knows how old she is (as well as the ages of me, Michael, and Blake). She said, "Ummmmm, I'm just red. No, not red, I'm pink. Yep, I'm pink."

But that age story reminds me of another Blake story from conference weekend. 

We were reviewing that we had a new prophet and that President Hinckley had died, but it was okay because he was really old.

Michael: How old was President Hinckley?
Me: Um, I think he was 95.
Blake: Oh, then he must know Lightening McQueen. He's 95.
(for all of you "Cars"-challenged, McQueen's number is 95)


2 comments:

Denise said...

I always enjoy your childrens' life lessons.

Today I am brown.

carilarkins said...

Annie laughed so hard at the Uchtdorf story. I am choosing to believe that that means she also absorbed something from conference besides the tie colors of all the speakers. Did you get that great activity packet emailed to you from someone? Knowing you, the person who made it is probably in your ward or went to your high school or is Dave's cousin.